You will need to pay for your return travel to the UK. If you cannot afford your travel costs, as a last resort you may apply for an emergency loan from the government if you meet all these conditions:

  • you are a British national
  • you usually live in the UK
  • you have exhausted all other options for getting funds to return home

Only basic costs can be included in a loan, usually the cheapest one-way ticket to the UK. If you are travelling with dependants, such as a spouse, partner or child who are not British nationals, your loan may also cover their tickets. These foreign nationals must usually live in the UK and should have already sought assistance from their own embassy.

If you are eligible, you will have to sign an Undertaking to Repay in which you agree to repay the loan within 6 months. You will not be able to apply to renew your passport until you have repaid your loan in full. If you have not repaid your loan or set up a repayment plan with the FCO within 6 months, Her Majesty’s Passport Office may cancel your passport. Your details may be passed to a debt recovery agency.